Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What I have learned

I just spent some time rereading a few old posts about a new me, changes in my life and my diet experience. Making changes can be so challenging, I know it took me nearly 13 years to finally do what I needed to do to get my body back after having kids. It was finally my time. I know I posted the beginning of my experience, but I haven't posted a day since. I have learned a lot. As I got ready to start the diet I posted how I was saying goodbye to friends by visiting my favorite restaurants and ordering my favorite foods. I knew I had an unhealthy relationship with food and thought it would become more clear just what the issues were as I got further into my diet, but that didn't happen. The truth is that I learned I will often turn to food when I'm lonely. Having a husband that is at work for days at a time and being a very social person, I could get lonely very easily. I quickly found other things to occupy me (mostly housework) when I couldn't turn to food. Through this experience I also found that some of my worst eating habits were just laziness. By being forced to eat such specific foods I not only had to make all my meals, I had to get creative. I learned to make great sauces and dressings from scratch! Also being forced to have so much vegetables brought me to a place where I can now very easily incorporate veggies into my everyday life, not only for me but the kids as well. After being deprived of sugar, I now see and have experienced for myself what a poison it is to a woman's body. I told my mom recently that you couldn't pay me a million dollars to have a piece of chocolate cake, and although I would take that money in a heartbeat, I will be much more selective about when I do have a treat. These seem like silly little things, but they all lead to what I wanted most, a healthier lifestyle. I can not believe I am here, finally at the end of this phase. I am proud of myself. I love putting on my swimsuit and going to the pool or getting on the boat. I am afraid of putting the weight back on, but I have to keep pushing myself and believing in myself. This was just the beginning, a place for me to start. All in all, I lost 35 pounds, now I want to take what I have learned and move forward. Phase 2, the gym. If you know me, or have read any of my past posts, you know the gym and I aren't best of friends, but that is all about to change. I can not wait to get back to the gym. It has been 3 months and I am ready!
The most important lesson I have learn, I already blogged about, that I am strong enough, that I have what it takes to make things happen. Whatever I want, I can achieve. I have to thank God for bringing me to this place in my life and guiding my heart, body and mind every step of the way.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hi Shawna, thanks for sharing, I don't see you as often as I like these days. Congratulations, I to am working on a healthier lifestyle, please keep posting, it is an encouragement to me. Leslie Morris

Stefani said...

Thanks for sharing you are an inspiration! Seriously! And you look fabulous!