Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Strength?

I have never thought of myself as a strong person, but I am often reminded of the truth, by a memory. When I worked at Chili's I had a great group of girlfriends. We would often get off the lunch shift during the week and grab our own lunch over at Chevy's. It was always about food, margaritas, complaining about our boss, planning our next shopping trip and of course boys, but for some reason this one afternoon the conversation was a little different. We decided to share what we loved most about each other. (I know, SO girly)! I don't remember how is started, or what I said about each person, nor what they said to me, except for one. She told me I was the strongest person she had ever met. I was shocked. Before that day, I would have never used that word to describe myself. I'm not sure what I had done to give her that impression, but it has stuck with me all these years. Right now there are a lot of women struggling that need strength, so sometimes my struggles seem a little silly to me, but it's my blog, and I can only speak for my experiences. I have been struggling with my diet. I am losing weight and gaining momentum, but it has been, and will continue to be an uphill battle. There are so many people who have told me "wow, I know I couldn't do it!", which is exactly what I thought, but here I am doing it. Winning the battle, each day inching a little further up the hill. Proving to myself that I truly am strong, I truly have what it takes. It's funny how we often need to be reminded of our own character. I was sitting on the couch tonite, alone, thinking, "how could you not see that you are strong? You are the wife of firefighter. You keep everything going and hold yourself together while he is gone. Something so many women say they could never do. It looks like you are capable of so many things others would consider unthinkable." (And then I thought about a military wife, so don't think I don't have it all in perspective or I'm just tootin' my own horn). But I have learned as I continue up this hill which I decided to climb, that she is still there. That strong girl who was an inspiration to her friend at Chevy's. And now that I see what I am capable of, I am thinking about embarking on many other climbs. Once you open the door, and see that it is possible for you, no hill seems to steep to conquer.

No comments: