Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What does parenthood mean to you?


It is heart-wrenching. It's an adventure. It is exhausting and exhilarating. It is a role I never thought would be so defining. It is so many different things to different families. I know parents who just don't know how to put their children before them. I know parents who put their children before all else. I know parents who's children who battle with social disorders or serious illness. There are so many parents with so many different perspectives, this is just mine.
The night I found out I was pregnant with Matthew is a night I will never forget and my life changed forever. I am blessed that being a parent has been full of joy and light on pain. Our boys are the light of our lives. It has been a strange journey as a parent. So many things that once seemed important have just faded away. So many things I thought I would never say or do I have said and done. For me it is a bittersweet journey. I know my role as a parent is to raise men. I can not do that by babying them. I can not do that by holding on too tightly. The only way I know how to do that is to teach them, let them try, be there to support them if they fail, celebrate with them when they succeed and know that someday, and a little bit everyday, I have to let them go.

No comments: