Thursday, March 18, 2010

What happened to me?

Do you ever ask yourself this question? Do you remember waking up one morning and thinking "Who am I?". I know it's the case for so many of us. Our lives are ever-changing and often in the chaos of work, children, and other responsibilities we lose sight of who we were, the things we loved. It's not that change is bad. I think change in the form of growth is positive and strengthening for our spirit. But the repercussions of discarding what makes us light up inside due to lack of time or replacing them with responsibilities can be devastating. You only get one life, right? We all want to live it to the fullest. You wanted to be an astronaut or a baseball player or a concert pianist. Maybe that's not the path your life took, but do you have to give it up? Couldn't you still visit the planetarium, organize games with friends and family or teach other people to play piano? What did you love when you were a kid? For me it was dancing. I still love it! I am lucky, dancing is a simple thing to continue, at the gym, at the club, at home in the living room with my kids. Different seasons of our lives allow us different opportunities. I may take a class soon, when I have the time and can afford it. Maybe tap or ballroom with my husband. These are the things that keep us happy. Remembering the dreams, maintaining the whimsy in our lives. There are so many ways to fit in what you love. You may not love your job, you may have young children you are caring for, but be creative. Find a way to keep the light inside shining!

No comments: