Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A blog a day...

In an effort to write more, and at the urging of my friends I will be blogging every day. I'm not sure this will help to gain the 100 followers I am hoping for, as I don't know that my life is that interesting...
Tonight my son and I went to In -N- Out for burgers. (If you are noticing that a lot of my blogs have to do with eating out, please look past it, I have issues that I will not be tackling in this entry :) As we walked toward the door I noticed a man in grungy clothes, pull up on his bicycle, stop at the front door to get something to eat as well. I thought to myself, this guy might be able to use an In N Out gift card. He came in somewhere behind us, we were already sitting down when he went up to order. We had a table very close to the register, so I was able to listen in a bit. He ordered a double cheeseburger in a very definitive way. It was almost funny how sure he was of what he wanted, I came to the conclusion that the man was just HUNGRY! As he was counting out his nickels, dimes and quarters, I got up to fill my drink with ice. (Whenever I ask one of my kids to get me my drink, they always forget the ice!) I turned from the drink station and noticed the look on the cashiers face and then looked at him looking back up at the menu, and I knew what I was going to do. I had known it from the moment I saw him pull up on his bike. I only had $2 in cash. I quickly grabbed it out of my wallet and hopped over to the counter. I asked them if he needed a little extra and the cashier said he needed a dollar. I put the 2 bills on the counter and said "here, this is for whatever you need", gave him a pat on the shoulder, and headed back to the table.
I was thrilled to be in a position to do something to help someone. More importantly, my son was moved by it. I know it was a small gesture but it made a huge impact at our house and I hope it restored that man's faith in humanity for the day. It made me wonder how Jesus must have felt. He was able to do this times 1000! I just thanked God for letting me be there to help this man today. I would challenge you to keep your heart and eyes open for these small opportunities to give someone a hand. The feeling is an indescribable blessing. Please share these moments with me as they arise. I would bet that the more open you are, the more opportunities will come your way.

2 comments:

Color my Skye said...

i don't think any of us can even begin to understand the impact you had on your boys lives today!!!!! love ya. xox

Darcy said...

Love your blog Shawna...you write Beautifully...

I gave you a blog award... :) come and get it!