Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ain't no "Soccer Mom"

The boys have done soccer, basketball, and football, but I AM A BASEBALL MOM! I love this game! I love watching my boys play. I love being out in the sun. I love seeing all my friends out there. I love watching the battle between the pitcher and each batter. I love the suspense of a fly ball to the outfield; will he catch it, will he not? I love the action of the infield, especially those close calls at first. And let's not forget the hot dogs! Yum! I have a hat or a t-shirt, or both for each boy's team, and baseball bracelets. There are lots of similarities between soccer moms and baseball moms. They all have the fan gear, and there are those of us that love to cheer loud (no matter how many times the kids ask us to stop it), but I bet the largest similarity is probably the back of our cars. It's most likely a minivan or SUV, cuz how else would you fit all that crap! Bat bags, extra clothes, shoes, a towel is always a good idea, spectator chairs for those fields that don't have bleachers, a blanket for the cold nights, a sun umbrella for the hot days, a cooler with drinks and snacks for the kid that doesn't have a game (and Dad), and then the bag with sunscreen, water, an extra ball and mitt (again, for the kid not playing), there are a million other things that can go in that bag! What's in yours?
Anyway, Monday and Tuesday were the boys first games and they both looked great. I love watching them be proud of their own performances and seeing them encourage their teammates. I am a baseball mom. I feel like I've come back to life after being stuck inside all winter. Yay spring! I can't help but wonder, though, what life will look like when it's all over. I am not afraid to admit, it is a huge part of my life. I identify with the whole thing probably a little too much. It will be a sad season when I'm no longer the baseball mom. I know it's a long way off, but if you have kids you know, life goes by so quickly. I'm going to try to enjoy it year after year and when it's all over, I'll jump in the car and head to SF to see the Giants, and the only thing I'm bringin' is my mitt and beer money!

No comments: