Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Let Them Be Little


I spent the day with Bobby, not unlike any other days, but as I have been taking him to Kindergarten everyday, I am realizing these precious days are slipping away......
We went to lunch, as we often do, at Chevy's.  We stole tortillas, from the tortilla lady and made shadow puppets on the wall of the booth while we waited for our food.  After lunch we took a walk over to Borders and read my favorite Dr. Suess book, "Are You My Mother?" on the floor of the store.  It was blissful.  
There were so many days I struggled as the mother of a young child, but now each day like today are bittersweet, as I know there are few left.   I am so thankful to God for the joy I experience being a mom and for today. 
It tugs at my heartstrings to know each day, I have to let go a little more....

"I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand.
You felt so good in it; no bigger than a minute.
How it amazes me you're changin' with every blink.
Faster than a flower blooms, they grow up all too soon.

So let them be little,
'Cause they're only that way for a while.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little."
-Billy Dean

No comments: